Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Emergency Room

My daughter was feeling sick and I took her to the emergency room at Fort Benning. My husband had the car and we had to take her truck. My God! I had to say a prayer before getting in that truck. Messy is the word I am going to use for lack of a better word. I was like the monkeys: hear no evil, see no evil, and say no evil. Well, that was the start of this tragic story. Looking at the fuel line,it was in empty. We went to the Gasoline station, I filled the tank, and off we went.
My daughter decided to turn on the music and because she was sick, she did it with her toes, it was too loud and again she used her toes. I was praying the whole time to God because really this was getting too extreme for me. 
We pass the gate and went to the parking lot, park, and then we walk to the emergency room. It was a little bit cold for this time of the year. My daughter gave the secretary her ID card and  the lady told her to sit down. Ten minutes later they took their vitals signs. We got their at 9 o'clock and we waited for the longest time. I took a long nap which it was interrupted now and then by my daughter. because I was snoring. Three hours later they call us. We were in bed ten. The nurse enter the room told my daughter to change into one of those  hospital gowns. After 5 minutes the lady doctor check my daughter and talk to her for couple of minutes. 
A male nurse enter the room and told my girl that he needed to draw some blood. Believe it or not; my daughter started to cry and covering her face with her coat. She said to the male nurse: I am fine. She is very afraid of needles so she was a "Drama Queen" almost the hold time. I told him not to draw blood from the arm because it was going to be a waste of time. Well, he did not listen and he had to do it twice. The second time he got the vein, but miss" Drama Queen" started to shake her legs so hard that the needle got out. She kept nagging, crying, moody, etc.
The male nurse. I think he had it with her and called the lady nurse. I wanted to leave and I am the mother.
He was very polite, left the room and the lady nurse came back and use a smaller needle and draw blood from the upper part of the hand.
And the story gets better and better, NOT.
I try to comfort my daughter but she was like Oscar "the grouch."
I had to hold her legs and she held to my hand. My wish at the time it was to be an octopus so
I can handle it. 
The nurse could not get all the blood so they decided to give her the saline (I-V). After they left instead of keeping my mouth shut I told her that I knew they were going to draw blood. She got in one of her tantrums and it was hell. Why you did not tell me? and I am going to stop here about the things she said.  Even though she is 19 yrs. old; she behaves  like a 2 yr. old.
Then, a soldier enter the room with the male and lady nurse. The soldier was the only one that come her down. She argue with me so much that I said in the counter, I need a break from her.
I stay outside for twenty minutes. When I got back a soldier was trying to enter the ER area but the door was looked. I decided to knock. When the blonde nurse that was taking care of my daughter open the door, she shouted at me "How you there to leave your fourteen year old by herself. I was like what is she talking about?

I went to the station where the nurses are, but I waited a little bit because she was at the phone talking to someone. After she finish, she said: Do you know it is against the rules to leave a fourteen year old unattended? I look at her and said: for your information my daughter is not fourteen, she is nineteen. Very nervously she apologized and said that someone gave her the wrong information. Then. I was crying. I went to see my daughter and she was as fresh as a cucumber. I say, thank you to the soldier and: Not "Elvis" but "Magda Vazquez" left the building. 
I started to call my husband but he was taking some classes, called my son and I cry like a baby. I love my son he comforts me. He ask me what happen and I told him all my ordeal. He said that he could not pick me up because he was at work and by the time he was off , daddy was going to be on his way to get me. 
The male nurse told my husband the way Lauren behaved. My husband was not happy. My daughter said that everything was my fault.  At the end I spoke to the male nurse about what happen in regard to my daughters age and he said that he already talk to the female nurse and that what she did was unacceptable. But that he was going to talk to her again.
Well,as you see is difficult sometimes to look at "The Big Picture", specially if you are in it.




No comments:

Post a Comment